Friday, July 22, 2011

Book Bags: A New Favorite

We've been exploring the new library digs on a weekly basis and joined the kids summer reading club. Lily is still on my short list of people on probation from the library, so I leave her at home...sorry girl, I gave you two tries and that last stint of trying to escape through the automatic doors to the parking lot did me in.

I had seen book bags (book with storytelling on CD) at our old library, but had always kind of thought, "I read the books to my kids so I don't really need a CD." I just didn't really get it.

I'm sorry book bag, I entirely misunderstood you and your coolness. I formally and publicly apologize for my snarkiness.


Weston loves the autonomy of being able to do it all by himself. He loads the CD, turns to the title page and listens for the directions. And he actually does a pretty good job of staying on cue with the page turns. Some of the storytellers are better than others, but they're probably all better than me and sometimes it has music and appropriate noises to the story also. And then my job, instead of reading*, is to keep Lily from pressing stop or eject on the CD player warranting multiple "do-overs" before the story is over. Oh. That. Girl.

(*Note: We do still read books together all the time...we just get a couple of CD's a week. Lest, Westie read this ten years from now and I think I cut him off from stories at age 3)

A little behind in gratitude...in my heart and here:

#43 authenticity of a friendship despite distance

#44 champagne on my birthday

#45 fun mornings...making up for afternoons that are difficult

#46 husband who graciously watches kiddos

#47 a birthday lunch treat by a friend

#48 cooking with mom

No comments:

Post a Comment