Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Hallelujah

If you've popped in here for any length of time or have talked to me for more than 10 minutes, you probably know the long journey potty training has been with our eldest little nugget. It all started here in this post, and it's been an uphill trek ever since (Please note the date, yes, 2 years ago!). Well friends, the epic day finally arrived two weeks ago when Weston pooped in the toilet just shy of 4 1/2 (he's been peeing just fine for almost a year). Forgive me for a post dedicated entirely to toilet talk, but really, this has changed my life.


Here's the promised Benny the Bull who has been hanging out on the top of our hutch awaiting this day for so long we had to put more air in him before use. I'm with you Benny, I was starting to lose steam over this whole thing too.  Also part of this deal was a new "Cars" racetrack and tickets to the Lion King musical at the Fox. Not that we hadn't tried excessive bribery already, but at last, the perfect timing of readiness, patience, soothing words and outlandish prizes came together. I'm pretty sure I heard angels singing and trumpets playing when I walked in the bathroom, but I can't be certain. My mind could have been hallucinating due to extreme lengths of bottom wiping.

And humor me just a bit more while I tell you that I have learned more about myself as a mom and who my son is through potty training perhaps than any other thing I've encountered. Not to over spiritualize a load of poop, but this has been no easy feat. Tears, loss of patience, accidents galore, fear/doubt, advice/unintended criticism. It's been a bit draining.  But here's what I'm starting to know: there are limits to my parenting, as in I don't get to control everything. Formulas only occasionally work (this + that = desired outcome). Process is just as important as the end result. It is not as important WHEN I get my child potty trained as what kind of character I display in the process. There are very popular 3 day potty training plans...well, ours was over 700 days. Weston just didn't fit into that box and he will likely not fit into many other boxes along the way and I'm thankful God is showing me how to deal with that. And that's not to say I couldn't have done things differently and certainly I didn't pull this thing off flawlessly, but in the end, I'm REALLY proud of my son for doing something that was truly wrapped in a lot of anxiety and I'm proud of myself for hanging in there and being willing to learn alongside him.

Here's to poop, friends. Hallelujah!

Grateful for... (had to dig through the archives to find where I left off!)

#89 Lessons in poop.
#90 Uninterrupted time to myself. Only a little bit, then I need the happy tune of endless questions and screams of delight/fighting back.
#91  Cobblestone pastries

1 comment:

  1. Great post friend. Praise the LORD for pooping in the potty! You handled this all much better than I would have. Glad that this looong chapter is over for you.

    ReplyDelete