Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Desperate Mom Meets Stubborn Child

My son and I had the following conversation 5 minutes ago. I am not proud of it, but my patience and nonchalant attitude about cleaning an almost four year old bottom is wearing thin...

Scene: Me walking into his bedroom as he is changing from his underwear into a pull-up to poop.

Me: Weston, why don't we just TRY to do it on the potty.

W: I don't want to.

(I dislike bribing, but in the case of potty training the same child for two years, I cut right to the chase in a moment of weakness)

Me: I will give you a really yummy treat if you poop in the potty just once. (I know if he just does it once, we are well on our way to this not being a big deal)

W: What kind of treat?

Me: We can go to the store and get a special one. C'mon, let's just sit and try and then you can always put your pull-up on and go.

W: (inching toward the bathroom) What kind of treat at the store?

Me: How about a cupcake?

W: (struggling, but thinking) Nah, I don't want to

Me: Weston, I will get you a cupcake the size of your face. A chocolate one. Let's just try.

W: (now scrunching his face and squeezing his little butt cheeks together) No.

Me: It will have LOTS of frosting.

W: Maybe next time.

Me: What about those animal pillows at the grocery store you've been wanting? We can get one of those too!

W: (struggling because he really needs to poop now and he REALLY loves those pillows at the Schnucks pharmacy) I don't want to!

Me: (defeated) Okay, go put on your pull-up.

W: Maybe next time Mom

Coming out of his room...

W: Mom, I know! We'll just get one of those animal pillows for Christmas!

Me: Weston, Christmas is 10 months away, you could have a pillow much faster if you would just poop in the potty.

W: No, that's okay, I'll just wait 'til Christmas.

Great. Mind you there is STILL a large bull collecting dust on top of our hutch that he will probably outgrow before we get it down. I'm pretty sure high schoolers exceed the weight limit. I know, I know..."He'll get there. Every kid does it in his own time. They don't go to Kindergarten in diapers. He'll do it when he's ready." I think these statements will be more encouraging when I have one successful potty training experience under my belt. And with a kid who is willing to wait 300 days for a toy, we may have a while!

6 comments:

  1. oh, that kid's got some resolve! This may be a disaster, but what if you make him do all the clean up after he poops in the pull up? Could be really gross, but might be a good way to convince him that the potty is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I wish that went over well. It resulted in him in the bathtub for 45 minutes with us intermittently fighting :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. all it will take is silly lily showing a potty interest. he'll be all over it then....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Beth. "Reality discipline" works well on Daniel (only sometimes for Addie.) I have no words of wisdom on potty training. Addie finally got it after I had a total break down and SCREAMED at her. I think she was too afraid of me to ever wet her pants again...at least not while she was sitting on the couch. Not a shining moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is tough stuff. I guess it's all part and parcel of never ALWAYS knowing what to do with your kiddos and trusting that you're doing your best and that the Lord brushes over with strokes of grace. I'm trying (sort of) to be sensitive of his emotional side of this...he says some pretty profound things about not wanting to grow up and he is pretty afraid of pooping in the toilet. He's a thinking sort of fellow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i bribed nina with starburst and m&m's. at daycare the kids always got 2 starbursts when they went home. if she went in the potty - she got a bonus one. if she pooped in the potty - she got five m&m's. it worked like a charm. but somehow i don't think westie would buy it...

    ReplyDelete