Monday, April 4, 2011

Three and Diaper Free

Westie turned three on Friday. In the weeks prior to his birthday if you were to ask him how old he was going to be he consistently said, "six." Lord help me when he truly is six because three sounds old enough. A preschooler! I asked him this week if he could please stop growing up and he replied, "No, I'm just going to get bigger and bigger." Dang it.

We had planned a little play date during the day with a couple of his close buddies. Sadly, one had dance class, one got pneumonia and another was also sick. That left us with little Sophie as the life of the party. They had a great time! They play really well together and Sophie goes along with Weston's goofy antics and love of animals. I think they played "snake" with two pieces of string for 20 minutes.



I've already talked to Sophie's mother about an arranged marriage after witnessing this: Sophie gives Weston a big hug and looks at him, "I love you Weston." "I love you too," Weston replies. Then he looks at me, "Sophie is my special heart. A special heart is when you love someone."
Oh. My. Goodness.




We made cupcakes and sang "Happy Birthday". Noni stopped by for lunch last minute since we were short on guests.

When Kurt got home we headed to Red Robin for dinner. We were a little unsure of the wisdom of this idea since containing Lily in a high chair is often a full time job, but it was a lot of fun and Weston loved the "to do" they put on for his special day.




Lily was a chow hound and ate Weston's entire corn dog in addition to a healthy amount of french fries. Lord knows this girl needs quite a bit of fuel for her fast moving motor.

I took this picture on the way home because I just couldn't believe how old he looked. Hands in his pockets? Definitely wasn't doing that last year.


We opened presents when we got home. From Mommy and Daddy he got a dinosaur floor puzzle, velcro frog catching mits, Goodnight Train (a favorite book we always get at the library), lacing beads and an alligator sleeping bag.



The sleeping bag was the favorite and everyone had a turn...



He got sweet gifts and cards from family and friends and seemed genuinely thankful for people thinking of him on his birthday. Man we love this kid. He just has a sweet little spirit about him. He makes us laugh so much and has the most curious mind I know. Two has been normally challenging, but he is pulling through and growing so much and we're just so proud of him.

The next morning we woke up and started the Three and Diaper Free campaign. Cold turkey. The gradual approach, while tempting, will not work for Weston because he would just wait and go in a pull-up. So while we're diaper free, we're certainly not accident free nor stubborn-free. In fact, I thought it was supposed to get better everyday, right? Well, we're on day 3 and each day has been worse than the one prior. Today when Kurt got home I left him with the kids and went to Target and ate a hot dog by myself for dinner...that's pretty bad people. Here's praying that the Lord's mercies and Westie's underwear will be afresh in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this update! The picture of you and Westie in the sleeping bag is a framer! I must admit, a hotdog at Target does sound like a low point. I'll be praying for poop-free days ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Good Night Train is a fave around here too! Happy Birthday, Weston! You are such a sweet big boy. Stay dry and give your Mommy some extra love while she teaches you this new skill. It's really difficult...for all parties involved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, yes. Beth was at Target and I came home and Kurt poked his head out the front door and said "would you mind coming in here and potty training my child?" as Lily escaped under his nose onto the front porch giggling in the cold as she was wearing only her diaper and leg warmers.

    the only thing better than being the parents to these two little ones - is living nextdoor and getting to witness all of their antics first hand!

    ReplyDelete