Thursday, January 20, 2011

Puzzling

Weston got a couple of floor puzzles for Christmas and we have been puzzling ever since. He has caught on quickly and it couldn't have come at a better time because winter is long January through March.

It's funny how I tried to impose MY way of doing puzzles on him and how he would have nothing to do with it. In the beginning, he needed quite a bit of help and I learned that the way you do puzzles is to find your four corners first, then do the edges and THEN fill in the middle. It took me about two minutes of attempted convincing before I said to myself, "Self, why does he have to do it that way? Let him do it his own way." And so he does it his way: Section by section so that each part comes to completion. It's like little successes upon the way (Where's the octupus' eye? The octopus is done! Now to the pink fish.) I must say, it's a good strategy and has served him well since he can now do 36-50 piece puzzles by himself. And that allows me to occasionally get dinner started or read Lily a book (for 15 seconds if she lets me).


No comments:

Post a Comment