Friday, October 22, 2010

Weston at Two

Weston was 2 1/2 this month and I find myself pondering over his second year so far. There are so many things I want to remember about him at this age.

Here are a few...


Weston is obsessed with animals. He knows the names of critters from yaks to triceratops. He also has quite the collection of animals figurines and plays with them like a girl would dolls. They have conversations and go places and sometimes I have to remind one of the animals that his voice is getting a bit cranky or unkind. When we're out and about, everything looks like an animal, whether its the clouds or a blob of mud. You can imagine what our trips to the zoo are like.


He has a sensitive spirit.

He is fairly uninterested in balls, throwing, catching, kicking, etc. This makes dad a little sad sometimes, but I think he'll come around eventually.

He is a good friend.

Weston was a really early talker. At least once a week someone in public will comment on his speech. He talks a lot and is articulate and has a pretty nice vocabulary. Someone recently asked if I thought Lily would be as verbal and my response was, "if she can get a word in edgewise."



He loves books. Which may explain the talking. And we LOVE reading to him.

He is so curious. I would say 80% of our day is spent answering questions.



Weston has a contagious smile. And eyelashes that make every woman jealous.



He hates leaving places. This sometimes involves me leaving a playground or friend's house holding an infant in one arm and a screaming toddler in the other.

Weston has a healthy fear of feathers, fuzzies and shadows.

He's getting better at climbing.

Weston is a great big brother. He hugs and kisses Lily, brings her toys, keeps her from danger and is on 24 hour spit-up alert duty.

He thinks that everyone that is "at work" is with Daddy. Like its a big party or something.

Speaking of Daddy, Weston loves him. Most of the time when we pull up to the house, even if it's 11:30, he asks if he's home. He also thinks Dad knows everything (which is mostly true). If he asks me something and I say "I don't know.", he will often reply, "We'll ask Daddy." or "Daddy will fix it." And, of course, there is much glee when he arrives home.

His favorite foods are yogurt with honey, fruit, PBJ's and treats. No vegetables.

Weston is really good with names. He knows his friends names, their siblings and their parents and knows who goes with who. He remembers little Donovan who we met at the library a month ago and he will probably wake up from his nap today talking about Bruno, Max and Mason who we met at the playground today. I forget someone's name one second after shaking his hand so this trait must be inherited from Dad.

He's a great sleeper. I am reminded of this every time Lily wakes up at 2 a.m.

He's pretty organized for a two year old. Kurt blames me. I just like things in their place, you know?



I think he's the sweetest kid ever. Because I'm his mom. And because he is.

(photos courtesy of Erin Duggin Photography)

4 comments:

  1. After the horrible, very bad week I have had this post brought me great joy and many smiles. Thank you Beth, for sharing. He is a wonderful little boy. And I want Lucy to marry him. OK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel that you missed a couple of things that i have to add:

    1) i have had far more intellectual conversations with weston than i have had with many many adults that i know - including a couple of people who have supervised me at a certain job....

    2) he is becoming quite the awesome hugger which is always a joy to his stressed out next door neighbor when she comes home from school.

    3) he is rather unselfish - as the house in which he lives is "mommy and daddy and lily's house" and not weston's house at all.

    4) he is quite knowledgable about sophisticated cooking terms - like "glurg glurg glurg". i talked to my mom and she said she never learned that term in her cooking classes - so clearly he is a prodigy......

    love my little bugaboo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. school? did i say school?? i meant work. see how stressed i get??? is weston asleep? maybe i need a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh he is such a sweet kid. Thanks for the shout out. I love that one of his lashes.

    ReplyDelete