Thursday, November 18, 2010

Inviting Disaster

Over the past year or so since Weston has gotten "helpful", I have been learning how to invite him into everyday activities. Most of the time he is eager to help with a task. I know it is good for him to feel a part of daily household chores. It is fun for him to play/pretend. It is bonding to work side by side with my kids. I enjoy the company of my children. For all these reasons, I continue to find ways to include him in what I'm doing. However, I must be prepared for inviting disaster.

It is pretty much guaranteed that when you ask a two year old to help you it will:

1. Take twice as long.
2. Be three times as messy.
3. Quite possibly not even accomplish what is supposed to get done.
4. Even more possible that it will accomplish the exact opposite of what is supposed to get done.

For someone who likes to cross things off the list these are tough things to swallow, but I do because I need to learn how to slow down and be patient. And because there is nothing better than watching your child have the satisfaction of accomplishing something seemingly "grown up."





Next up...scrubbing toilets.

3 comments:

  1. i'm off all next week and hope to accomplish some cleaing. can weston come do my floors???

    ReplyDelete
  2. If by "do your floors" you mean run through your swept up dirt piles and splatter the walls with his mini-mop...sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks very focused in his work. Good to know he has the skills to pay the bills.

    ReplyDelete